Know someone who would enjoy this recipe? Why not share it with them.
Whole Wheat Streusel
1 c. finely chopped pecans
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
Directions: Combine all of the ingredients together and spread evenly over the cake before baking.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 13×9″ baking pan.
2. Prepare the streusel below and set aside.
3. In a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat, combine the apples, water, brown sugar and cinnamon and cook until the apples are soft but not broken down, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
5. In a separate small bowl combine the Greek yogurt, and vanilla and set aside.
6. In a large bowl or Kitchen Aid Mixer beat the butter and sugar at high speed until light coloured. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy. Add the flour and yogurt mixtures alternately in 2 parts while mixing on low speed until mixed, scraping the sides of the bowl.
7. Spread the cooled apple mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan and even it out with the back of a large spoon so that it evenly covers the pan.
8. Carefully spoon the cake batter over the apple base and gently spread to cover the apples with a spatula or the back of a spoon (you can wet the spoon with some water to make it a bit easier).
9. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.